Monday, October 09, 2006

Missional Mom.... A Hope and a prayer....

I have a confession. I have been holding out on you. There is something you don't know about me. I am working on a project. A BIG project... (to me) I have started writing my first book......(well, if it's not published, I may be writing fuel for a bonfire;)

Please pray with me, as I write:

"Dear Lord- I pray for your creativity, for your love and passion to be poured out, I pray that Mom's would find encouragement, tools and inspiration to to be a missionary- in their homes, and in the world around them. I love you Lord- and look forward to this adventure! amen"

The Title? Duh. "Missional Mom".

I've decided to give you a tiny (and in still very rough draft form....) taste......

Missional Mom
Chapter 1
A view from the mission field

The drum beat pounds through my chest. Boom. Boom. Boom. I can’t understand the words- that accompany, but I can feel the emotion. The words sound foreign. I can see the native’s clothing, it is odd. The colors are familiar, the fabrics are familiar, but the manner of dress is so different, from mine. I’m not even sure how the clothing is staying on their bodies. I wonder if it’s some strange power, that the natives alone, possess.

In addition to the drums, I hear a strange, light tapping sound. I turn and see another native. By stature and demeanor, I can see that he is the elder. He is busily performing his daily chores. Tip tap. Tip tap. The sound comes from his fingers, they are engaged in a strange activity, part crazy finger dance, part musical tapping. Suddenly, another sound, a buzzing sound, assaults my ears. It sounds like a bee the size of a small plane. It seems to come from a small object in a place of honor next to the elder. The elder picks up the buzzing object, without fear. He speaks. While I can hear his words, I struggle to understand.

I notice a blue glow coming from the opposite direction. Intrigued, I turn to find it’s source. I see another, a smaller native. He is awash in the blue glow, it surrounds him in both colored light and high pitched sounds. The small one is enraptured by the glow and sounds.

Through an opening in the wall of the Natives dwelling- I can see other natives. They are walking, working and going about their daily business. I hear laughter, the sounds of their tools as they work. They are familiar and foreign, at the same time.

Welcome to my mission field.

My home.

The drums? That is the music of my 2 teenaged sons, 14 and 17. Their strange clothing? Oversized sized t-shirts and baggy jeans. They are natives.

The tip, tapping and buzzing elder? That is my husband, working on his laptop, at the kitchen table. His cell phone buzzes in “vibrate mode” he answers it and talks shop. It’s almost another language, to me. He is a native.

The small native awash in a strange glow? That is my youngest, at 4 he is enraptured by Dora and Diego, He watches his Boz DVD’s with the music colors and stories that he loves. My little native.

The opening in the dwelling? That’s my front door. Through it, I see my neighbors, their cars moving in and out of driveways. I see a beautiful, sari-wrapped- Hindu woman, pushing her stroller. My Muslim neighbor is out cutting his lawn. Kids of all ages and ethnicities play basketball and soccer in the yards. Natives of all sorts.

All around me are people who need God- either to meet Him for the first time, or, to get to know Him in a deeper way. In the middle of our little suburban cul-de-sac, sits my home. In which, sits me. A Mom. A Missional Mom. A Mom called to reach out and share what she has, in hospitality, comfort and experience, right where she’s at.

A mom who’s also, afraid she’ll mess up. A mom who’s afraid she may not be able to connect with people who are different from her. Who’s afraid to offend, and turn someone off to the Gospel, because she’s a dork, or is pushy or in ignorance, may offend.

A mom whose heart breaks for the lives of those around her.

-excerpted from-" Missional Mom"-

7 comments:

Missional Jerry said...

Can't wait to see the rest!

Tracey, in MI said...

Thnx Jerry- I'll be posting snippets here and there- but hopefully you'll get a chance to see the "whole enchilada" in print, someday!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Very exciting, Tracey! Writing is one of my passions, too.

It really sounds like this book that you're working on reflects your heart - and that's the best way to go!

Looking forward to hearing about your process and progress as you work your way through this adventure!

Amydeanne said...

I loved it! It sounds like it's coming a long great! lol I especially like the strange glow lol.. sounds like my kids!

Becky said...

Go you!!

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled onto your Misson Blog and gosh the writing is great. I will keep you on my list, can't wait to read more. You are truly gifted by the Lord. Blessing

Tracey, in MI said...

Katrina, Amy Becky and Sue....

Thnx- have had a rough week.... stuck in hormones I think... have around 90 pgs done... but need to focus;) thnx for the encouragement;) ts