Saturday, November 04, 2006

The Idols of Motherhood....

Today- I have a question for you.... What are the idols you've run into in motherhood? In working on mmy writing project, it seems important to be able to contextualize the Gospel in Motherhood- first thing up? Identify the inter-cultural and trans-cultural idols we face as Moms.. Here is my list so far:
We sometimes worship---(hold invaluable, most valuable sometimes even in place of God...)

Control-
I don’t have it, God does. Over what happens to my child or what my child does. Our ideal future for our children- Being Godlike- our children are designed by God- not ours to re-create.
The idea that Income=Value- Mothers have value apart from their financial contribution.
Independence- I can do it all, all by myself- No one can, that’s why God gives us each other.
Our Children’s accomplishments- My child is my report card- Jesus is my righteousness
Our Childrens choices- My child is my second chance- God is your second chance… I wish I would have, My parents never…
Our ability to be a perfect parent- I can’t be a good enough parent- Nope, you can’t not on your own. Which is why we need God.
Our ability to protect our kids-from ourselves- I will break my kids- Gods love covers our sin, we fall down we get up. God uses our weaknesses for His glory.
Our identity as a Mother. Motherhood is not all I am- God knows the plans he has for you
Our dispensibility. What I do, can be done better by someone else- Yes, and no- yes- there will always be a “better mom” depending on what standard you use to measure, and no- because you are uniquely chosen by God, for your child- and they for you.
Our individuality- No one understands…the temptation the loneliness the pain- Jesus does. There is only one right way to parent- My way.
Leave your ideas in the comment section to help me out;)

8 comments:

MomThatsNuts said...

I idolize RESPECT..something that is required of my children whether they are dealing with each other or dealing with me. I let them say pretty much whatever they need to say, as long as they are respectful...I noticed respect wasnt on your list..

Mom

Tracey, in MI said...

momthatsnuts- you're not! (nuts that is;) great catch- I think you're rt- respect. Sometimes we even idolize respect in a bad way- we demand it without earning it.... respect is def. important! Thnx!

Heather said...

I would say a lot of moher's idolize other's opinions. "Keeping up with the Joneses" and also "Providing everything for the child (other known as spoiling)", also whatever particular parenting style we believe in often becomes an idol (you can tell when you suggest something that oes against their ideal and they SPAZ!) What about idolizing the child himself. Yo mention dispensibility, what about indinspenibility (for instance I have a friend who thought her children couldn't get along without her, that she had to be with them 100% of the time, until God showed her she couldn't be everthing to them.

Heather said...

Oops, I guess the "my way" thing is the same as what I mentioned. I kind of go going there and didn't stop. :)

Tracey, in MI said...

heather- great points;) We often idolize "giving everything" to our kids, it can become more of a goal than giving them love and discipline...& our Indispensibility,you're right, that needs to be on the list too.

Amydeanne said...

my biggest idol was before I had children; it was children. I placed it before God. It wasn't til I gave that up did the Lord give the desires of my heart.
I think now I struggle with most of what you've identified!

CJ said...

What about our desire to do it ALL and do it PERFECTLY? The need to be everything to everyone, often at our own expense.

Anonymous said...

What a great thought-provoking list. Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us moms in the blogosphere.